Sunday 4 August 2019

#Wordfortheweek 2019 Week 30 From generation to generation (Part 2 of 4)


Hear, my son, and receive my sayings, and the years of your life will be many. I have taught you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in right paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hindered, and when you run, you will not stumble. Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; keep her, for she is your life. Proverbs 4:10-13 NKJV



When a child goes off to college or university, it is usually a step into adulthood. I remembered my first year of Uni was like being given a ‘get out of jail’ free card. Just the fact that the choices were in my hand was great irrespective of the consequences. I left home (albeit for a short time) and was making my own decisions. Even though I was still dependent on my parents for financing, there was this sense of freedom. I finished Uni when I was twenty-one and left Nigeria a few months before my twenty second birthday. I missed growing into adulthood having the guidance of my parent. I was far from home, there were no cell-phones and Internet as it is now, so communications were far and in-between. I missed a whole decade of closer relationship with my parents. I have realised that this was a period where the relationship between a child and the parents could either become stronger or weaker.

For many, their twenties (as young adults) is a period of independence – physically and financially. Subsequently there, is a shift in the relationship with the parents. It is unfortunate to see many young adults keeping their parents at arm’s length for whatever reasons that might be. Their attitude and way of speaking to their parent changes. They feel that their parents can-not tell them what to do anymore. In fact, any advice from the parent is seen as controlling. Child-parent relationship can be broken during these early years of adulthood, some for some time, others forever. Big mistake.

My life reflection is that in normal circumstance a young adult should not seek to cut-off ties with their parents because of the rush to become independent. Parents have a special mandate from God. They were the vehicle through which He brought you to earth. There is a commandment with blessing attached. “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” Ephesians 6:1-3 NKJV. Do not use the blessing God has given you to dishonour them.

At any-time of life, parents can be a source of life wisdom in many ways. Use this decade of your life to seek guidance from your parent especially in paths they have walked ahead of you. Ask your parent for advice, seek their counsel, involve them in major decisions of your life. This will bring you joy and sooth the void in their heart now that you are no longer living at home. This decade of your life is usually when you can relate with your parent as one adult to the other, building friendship that deepens as the years roll by.

If your parents are still alive, why not start now…

To be continued

#prayerfortheweek
Help me Lord to honour my father and mother that it may be well with me and live long on earth. In Jesus name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment