Sunday 11 August 2019

#Wordfortheweek 2019 Week 31 From generation to generation (Part 3 of 4)


Hear, my son, and receive my sayings, and the years of your life will be many. I have taught you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in right paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hindered, and when you run, you will not stumble. Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; keep her, for she is your life. Proverbs 4:10-13 NKJV


In the last few years, I had been privileged to meet many young adults in their twenties through the #ExcellenceInLife mentoring programme across Africa. Relating with them took me back to my twenties decade. That period was bittersweet for me but looking back I think, it could be one of the best decades of one’s life with the right knowledge.

I left Nigeria in my early twenties, being far from home and having to depend on myself made me grew up faster than I think I would have done. I was far from home, family and had no mentors. The decisions I made during that time was not based on experience or guidance but trial and error. There was no-one to correct or guide me in life’s journey. A life lesson to the young adults, do not be in a hurry to move so far from home, and if you must ensure you have mentors to guide and support you.

Unfortunately, I see many young adults with a desire to shrug off guidance and correction.  There is this attitude of, “I know what I want, and I can do what I want”. “I am not accountable to anyone now I am an adult”. Sadly, this will lead you down a path of regret. 

There was a young lady in her early twenties that I know who blocked her mother from her Instagram page because she was corrected for posting pictures revealing parts of her body that should be private. A person that refuses to listen to correction will be left alone to make more. It is easy to be resentful of corrections especially from those older because you think they are ‘old school’. “Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.” Proverbs 12:1 NKJV

My word of advice is to enjoy your twenties but have mentors you can be accountable to and avoid unnecessary life changing mistakes due to your inexperience and false sense of maturity. And for that young lady who took that stupid act to block her mother, remember it’s not too late to make amends.

To be continued

#prayerfortheweek
Almighty Father, guide and always lead me to make the right decisions in the name of Jesus I pray. Amen

I pray this inspires you to be more and do more for Yeshua Ha Mashiach (Jesus Christ). Spend this week to meditate on the passage and take relevant step to live out your faith.

#AdeolaAkintoye ©

#ajourneytospiritualmaturity

No comments:

Post a Comment