Sunday 14 June 2020

#Wordfortheweek Week 25 #Selfish


When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear - selfish ambition.’ Galatians 5:19-20 NLT


courtesy https://www.dreamstime.com
What is the first thing that crosses your mind when you meet someone for the first time?  

A few years ago, I realised that I was getting into this mind trap of thinking everyone I met had a part to play in the ministry Elohim committed to my hands. One of the first things that would cross my mind was how they could support my ministry. It was about me not them.

Most of us would be guilty of this as well. I have been on the other side too, where people were interested in me because of what they perceived I could do for them. Knowing how this made me feel was a wake-up call to renew my mindset about people that comes into my life.

Yes, God uses people to bless us, but this is not an excuse for us to deliberately assess someone for what and how they could help us. Instead of how we could be a blessing to them.

Selfish ambition is when it’s all about you.

As I continued in my spiritual maturity journey, I have had to deal aggressively with this attitude in myself. I had to transform my thinking with the help of the Holy Spirit to always think; ‘How can I be a blessing’ rather than, ‘how can this person bless me.’

I used the word ‘aggressively,’ because I have come to understand that as long as we are in this earthly flesh, our earthly nature will continually try to rear its sinful head and you need to eliminate it aggressively. A soft approach would only lead to complacency.

One of the results of giving in to our earthly nature is selfish ambition; ‘When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear - selfish ambition’ (Galatians 5:19-20 NLT). And it is certain that, ‘anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God’ (vs. 21).

Apostle Paul was talking to the ‘born again’ Christians in Galatia. Even after being born again it is still possible to miss the Kingdom of God! My friends, all evidence of the sinful nature must be dealt with aggressively.

Thanks be to God that we have the Holy Spirit in us to guide our lives. We still have to make the choice though to, ‘…let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.’ (Galatian 5:16 NLT)

Are you struggling with selfish ambition? Renew your commitment to Jesus today and let the Holy Spirit guide every area of your life. Pray the following prayer and make the bold confession below;


#Prayerfortheweek
Almighty God, thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit to guide and direct my life. Give me the grace to say NO to all sinful desires and YES to the direction and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Let the fruit of the Spirit be evidenced in all areas of my life; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness gentleness and self-control. I confess that Jesus nailed the passions and desires of my sinful nature to the cross and crucified them there (Galatians 5:24). I appropriate my authority in Christ over all sinful desires in the name of Jesus. Amen

I pray that this inspires you to reflect on your relationship with Elohim and be determined to be more and do more for Him each day.
#AdeolaAkintoye©
#ajourneytospiritualmaturity2020

No comments:

Post a Comment