Tuesday 20 October 2020

#Wordfortheweek Week 39 #Identity

“Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”” Matthew 4:3 NKJV

One of my childhood memories was how proud I was of my father’s name. In those days, neighbours knew each other, children were also known by name. Wherever you are, whatever you do was a reflection of your family, especially your father. I was recognised by my father’s name. What I did in public reflected on him. Your character outside your family was seen and noted by neighbours, and it got back to your parents. And boy, was I scared of hearing that statement: “I will report you to your father.”


Growing up, my identity was through my parent. I belonged to this particular family, whose values and culture defined who I was. I did things with the consciousness of this identity. I wanted to make my family proud not shamed; to do well in school, to have friends of ‘good’ families, not to get into trouble. It was very much who I had to be as well.


Oxford dictionary defines Identity as the fact of being who or what a person is. It is also defined as the characteristics that determine who or what a person is, that makes them similar or different from others.


Understanding who you are give you a sense of belonging. A strong sense of identity will enable you to face any challenges of life with confidence. Identity crisis in a person is when you do not know who or what you are, where you belong and where you are going. It impacts what you do and the decisions you make. 


In the passage above, Jesus was tempted firstly at the core of his identity - the Son of God, the very  essence of who and what he was and still is.  Denying his identity was denying who he was. The work of salvation was dependent on his identity as the son of God.


‘If you are the Son of God...,’ was a direct attack on who he is. 


If Jesus did not know who he was, or was suffering from identity crisis, it would have been a slam dunk for the devil.


When I gave my life to Christ, my identify became in Him. I was adopted as a son into the family of Elohim God.


We are living in such a time of uncertainties but the only thing that is certain is our identity. Many believers are leaning into their relationship with Yeshua Christ Jesus but many are not, because of identity crisis.


We might not know what tomorrow will bring but we know who owns our tomorrow because we belong to Him. In Him we live, move and have our being.


If you do not know your identity in Christ, as an adopted son of Yahweh, the devil will toss you all over the place with fear. However, it is not just knowing your identity in Christ, but believing, understanding and embracing all the qualities of that identity. 


Read the bible and research what it says about your identity in Christ. Believe your identity, say it,  meditate on it and accept it.


Transform your thinking. And importantly fellowship with like-minded believers to strengthen you.


#Prayerfortheweek

Almighty Father, thank You for the gift of my salvation. Thank you for adopting me as one of your own. I accept, embrace and own my identity in Christ Jesus. Give me the grace to stand for who I am even in the face of adversity.  In the name of Yeshua I pray. Amen


I pray that this inspire you to reflect on your relationship with Elohim and be determined to be more and do more for Him each day. 

#AdeolaAkintoye©

#ajourneytospiritualmaturity2020

No comments:

Post a Comment