Monday 17 February 2014

Discipline - A tough lesson


 I usually wake up with the word of God in my heart (‘…and I spoke to you, rising up early and speaking…’ Jeremiah 7:13). This amazes me all the time; the connection of the Spirit of God with man even in sleep. It confirms the word of God that ‘He is always with us.’

I woke up to a beautiful day, in the city of Bamako in Mali where I am writing this blog. I rearranged the small table in my hotel room and sat down, facing the window where I could see the trees, with their leaves gently swaying to the unheard music in the winds; as if they are dancing in the presence of the Spirit of God in the winds.

The essence of the word woke me and got me out of my comfortable bed at 7am. It’s the weekend and I always look forward to the weekend for a lie-in. Yet, as I turn to the side for a second round of sleep, the word came fast. As always, I know if I don’t get up and put the words on paper, it gently flies away never to return in the same fresh, enlightening way…a great opportunity lost.

I got up and here I am – putting words on paper.  As I continue on my spiritual journey, daily, I look forward to being taught by the Holy Spirit as God promised..“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye” (Psalm 32:8 NKJV). The lesson I have been going through recently is on discipline.

I have a vision of the life I want to live, I have plans and goals that I need to achieve if my vision will become a reality – and it will take hard work. One of my goals this year is to study the whole bible in a disciplined and consistent way. I have discovered the reality of the wisdom contained therein, like finding treasures as you dig in. I am passionate about leadership – the wisdom for leaders is there; I desire to grow spiritually – what better place than the Word of Life. So, this year, I made a decision, I will dig for the treasures in a more disciplined way.

And God has been using it to teach me  how to be disciplined. I set reading targets for each day (including writing the wisdom nuggets) but I find myself lagging behind in the first month. I made the decision that even if I lag behind, I would just have more chapters to read each day. I must continue on my goal to the end. This goal brings more benefit to me and the cost of procrastination is too high.

I have reflected on why I keep missing my targets, and my conclusion is this; laziness and procrastination. It’s not because I don’t have the time; I could wake up each day one hour earlier to read the chapters for the day. But I want more sleep, so I postpone it to later, then later comes, I believe (it’s a mind thing not necessarily the reality) I am tired right now and will read it later before I sleep; later comes, I read a few chapters, then I am too sleepy - next day comes. Of course now I have many more chapters to read.

If not for the Word that wakes me up each morning till I ‘heard’ the essence of the lesson; ‘A stitch in time saves nine.’ Discipline requires me to do what I need to do ‘right now’. If you have goals, especially spiritual goals, start on it right now, don’t procrastinate.

What about you? What are your goals for this year? How are you doing so far? Is the Holy Spirit waking you up?
 
Shalom,
Adeola Akintoye
PS: if this post has encouraged you, do share and encourage someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment