Sunday 27 April 2014

As a man thinks in his heart…

‘...There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.’ (Numbers 13:33 NKJV)

I had been so fascinated by the incidence that finally broke the Carmel’s back (so to speak) in the wilderness of Paran (Numbers 13). I had read this story so many time in my life but it was now making some profound impact in my spiritual journey.

As a man thinks in his heart so he shall be. The Israelite elders believed they were grasshoppers in their own sight, and also felt their enemies sees them as such... so they became paralysed with fear. I couldn't just imagine why this people would see themselves like that when they had God fighting and protecting them. They were full of murmuring and complaint all the time! As I studied the Israelites’ wilderness journey, I saw them as spoilt pertinent children who would never be satisfied no matter what God did for them. It’s all about me…me…me.

Just to read how God provided and protected them showed the depth of His love for them. Despite the challenges they might have been facing; harsh terrain, no water, no meat, enemies to fight, yet they only needed to ask God (respectfully not with complaints and murmuring) and He would grant them their wishes but no they complained like little children (God still granted them their wish... but oh boy were they punished as well).

To give them a little credit, some of their complaints were from the strangers in their midst '.....Now the mixed multitude who were among them yielded to intense craving; so the children of Israel also wept again and said: “Who will give us meat to eat’’’? (Numbers 11:4 NKJV). This brings to mind the statement...'Do not be unequally yoked to unbelievers.' However, they still had the choice not to complain.

They did not see themselves as God saw them – His beloved children, whom He loved very much and whom He would care for and protect. They still saw themselves as slaves under the yoke of the Egyptian masters. And because of this it was difficult for them to really comprehend the miraculous work that God had been doing in their midst.

Father, I am thankful for everything you have done for me and are still doing for me. With a grateful heart, I bring my desires to you without murmuring and complaint like a spoilt ungrateful child. Help me to see myself as you see me and not as I see myself.

How about you? Do you see yourself as the loving child of the Almighty God, made righteous by the blood of Jesus? Or are you still pulling yourself down and back with limiting thoughts and mind-set?


Prayer: Father I believe I am loved by You. I believe You are my banner, my Shield, my Strength and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. In the Mighty name of Jesus, Amen.

Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment