Sunday 27 November 2016

FRIENDSHIP MATTERS


...But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Prov 18:24

As I sat down in the hotel lobby waiting for a young lady who is like a daughter to my mum and a sister to me, I reflected on the past three days. I came to celebrate the 50th birthday of my best friend. We've been friends now for nearly thirty-three years, I was sixteen and she was seventeen. The love of reading romance novel brought us together  and our lives has been inter-woven since then. She met her husband through me and I got gifted with the god-motherhood of their two children. 

It was a weekend of laughter and joy. A fellowship with friends since my college days - thirty years ago. This weekend made me reflected on the importance of friendship; deep abiding friendship that has been cascaded to the next generation. My friends' children have been friends since their childhood. The friendship that is not about being better than the other but being there for each other, celebrating and empathizing with each other. Friendship that is family. One that is nurtured and has matured. 

I also reflected on the mercies of God that apart from one of us who died over twenty years ago, God has kept all of us and in good health. It is worth being thankful, every day for the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment