Thursday 3 May 2018

#WordforToday 3 May 2018 On whose Authority?



And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, “By what power or by what name have you done this?” Acts 4:7



The miracle of the lame man who received strength I his feet and ankle bones (Acts 3:7), leaping and walking and praising God had a ripple of excitement – positive among the people but negative with the priests, Sadducees and other elders. They grumbled and were greatly disturbed especially the Sadducees who did not believe in the resurrection of the dead. How could a dead man’s name bring irrefutable healing, it was not possible. So they asked Peter and John by what power or name they did it?

This question was similar to that asked of Jesus by the chief priest and elders in Matthew 21:23 “By what authority are You doing these things? And who gave You this authority?”

In the world we live in, to be relevant you must have something – name, educational title, money etc. to give you credibility. The name of Jesus seems not to be enough in most of our Church gatherings today. We are moved by someone’s title – Apostle, Reverend, Prophet, Pastor etc., 

Titles are used as the authority that gives credibility. If I were to enter a church gathering and introduce myself just by my name, the attention I would receive would be different if I were to introduce myself with a positional title. I am amazed by how quickly we give honour to someone because of their wealth or position or title. Unfortunately, because we look for these earthly designation of authority, we miss many who are spiritually gifted in our midst.

The hypocrites expected that only certain people could heal the lame man. Peter and John had no title, hence no human authority. But they had the authority that is above all authorities -  Jesus Christ.

The world can have its own authority structure but the only Authority by which we live, move and have our being is that of Christ Jesus. We must never make the mistake to think that our earthly titles, positions, accreditation, qualification is the power behind our successes in ministry.

Depending on any other name except Jesus Christ as the authority by which we preach and teach, and demonstrate the power of the Holy Spirit is a fallacy. Our authority is first and foremost Jesus Christ.

I might not have the title before my name but I have Jesus Christ, on whose authority I preach His gospel. What about you?

PrayerforToday 3 May 2018

Everlasting Father, thank You for giving me the authority in Yeshua. May I not depend on any other authority except my Lord and Saviour.  In the name of Yeshua Jesus I pray. Amen

It is the will of the everlasting Father that you may have everlasting life through Jesus. See Him in the Holy Scriptures, believe in Him and He will raise you up on the last day John 6:40 NKJV
I pray this inspires you to be more and do more for Yeshua Ha Mashiach (Jesus Christ).
#AdeolaAkintoye ©



No comments:

Post a Comment