Tuesday 8 September 2020

#Wordfortheweek Week 36 #Stereotype


And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” John 1:46 NKJV


Recently where I work, I met a new member of the senior leadership team. When he asked me where I come from - as in origin, I told him, Nigeria. I could not believe my ears when I heard his response; “Oh, you are one of those people that sends me payment emails”.  I thought I did not hear him correctly, so I asked him to repeat what he said. With a smile on his face he repeated it.


                                                                               Photo credit https://www.communication-director.com

 

This is a typical example of stereotyping people because of their nationality. This attitude is pervasive in our society. We judge people without knowing them but because of their colour, sex or other type of groupings society have put in place.

 

Jesus also experienced being stereotyped because of where he grew up, Nazareth. A place where people were probably not educated, not materially rich, not of the priestly tribe nor the royal clan.

 

One would suppose that this issue was only limited to the secular world. Unfortunately, in my spiritual journey I have noticed it has crept into the Christendom.  Many of us have a stereotyped mindset about certain denominations as an example.

 

We become judgemental about other denominations, even though they preach Jesus crucified the hope of glory. We tagged people with labels because they belong to a denomination. Yet each one of us will be judged by our own actions not the denomination we belong to. Jesus warned us against sectarianism (Luke 9:49-50).

 

In our journey to spiritual maturity, let us focus on preaching the word. And living out the word. Jesus did not have a stereotyped mindset. His legacy for us is to love…everyone, irrespective of the grouping they belong to.

 

#Prayerfortheweek

Almighty Father, thank You for the gift of life, health and my salvation. Give me a heart of love to all people irrespective of their colour, sexuality, nationality or religious denomination. Take out the root of stereotype from my heart and replace it with the seed of love, that my character might bring praise to Your Holy name. In the name of Yeshua I pray. Amen.

I pray that this inspires you to reflect on your relationship with Elohim and be determined to be more and do more for Him each day.

#AdeolaAkintoye©

#ajourneytospiritualmaturity2020

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment