Thursday, 1 October 2026

Inú Rere: A Heart of Kindness


I have been young, and now I am older, and I hope a little wiser.

As human beings, we relate to one another in many ways. We admire certain virtues in others and aspire to cultivate them within ourselves. 

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that one of the most important virtues in all of humanity is inú rere; a heart of kindness.

If I were in my twenties again, looking for a spouse, the first virtue I would look for would be kindness.

If I were a first-time parent, one of the first lessons I would teach my children would be kindness.

As a friend, I seek to nurture friendships with kind people. And above all, I desire to be a kind person myself.

I have observed that truly kind people are extraordinary. Kindness transcends religion, culture, status, and background. I know people with no religious faith who display more kindness than some of the most religious individuals I have met. Equally, I have encountered people who are deeply religious, yet kindness seems foreign to them.

The Apostle Paul highlighted one of love’s defining qualities: "Love is patient and kind" (1 Corinthians 13:4).

Not successful. Not powerful. Not impressive. Kind.

Kindness is love made visible.

Kindness is thinking about others before yourself.

Kindness is helping when there is nothing to gain.

Kindness is extending grace when someone falls short.

Kindness is making room for others to flourish.

Kindness is treating every person with dignity, regardless of who they are or what they can do for you.

Kindness is choosing patience when irritation would be easier.

Kindness is speaking gently when you have the power to wound.

Kindness is listening without rushing to judge.

Kindness is noticing the person everyone else overlooks.

Kindness is giving credit freely and criticism carefully.

Kindness is empathy in action.

Kindness does not make headlines. It is often quiet, unnoticed, and ordinary. Yet it changes homes, friendships, workplaces, communities, and lives.

A person with inú rere, a kind heart, chooses love over bitterness, peace over conflict, healing over hurt, forgiveness over offence, and grace over resentment.

Perhaps the measure of a life well lived is not how much we accumulated, achieved, or accomplished, but how much kindness we left behind.

Because long after people forget what we said, they often remember how we made them feel. So let us be kind.

For love is kind. And where kindness grows, humanity flourishes, families unite, and friendships thrive. 

Be kind. It may become the most enduring part of your legacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment