Tuesday 27 February 2018

#WordforToday 27th February 2018 Irresistible temptation

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:12

https://www.foodnetwork.com
I love fruit tarts. I can eat it every day. There was a time, in fact that I did eat it every day. I knew it was not healthy eating but I just could not resist, the temptation was too great. I tried to stop. Truly, I did but I kept falling.

Of course the bible passage above is not talking about fruit tarts. But the desire for something that you know you should avoid because it is sin in the sight of God.

We are tempted every day - by the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life. Every day we are tempted. And we fall, many times. We know we should not but we still do. Like Apostle Paul said; For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.  Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. (Romans 7:19,20). The things I will not to do, that I do. I might say it is not I that do it (since I do not will it) but the sin in me. With life in Christ, surely this is an excuse?

It is easy for humankind to blame someone else when they give in to temptation. "Oh, it is the devil that made me do it;" "I could not help myself." "It is the sin me, I am still human after all." Really!  For a christian to still be in bondage to sin is impossible. Only those who do not know who they are in Christ Jesus.

Every temptation starts with a desire. The bible teaches us that each one of us is tempted when we are drawn away by our own desires and enticed (James 1:14). Our conscience acts like a caution because it tells us what is good or bad. After the fall of man, he knew what was good and evil (Gen 2:22).

So why do many christian keep falling into temptation? Like the temptation of my strawberry tart, I know it is not good for me yet I still eat it promising this would be the last time. Every time is always the last time!

As a child of God, with the Holy Spirit residence in us, we do know before we give in to temptation and we know what we have done after we do it. You can only fall by making a decision to do what will make you fall. If you are in Christ, falling into temptation is by-passing or stepping out of grace to sin. No devil can force you. It is your choice and your decision. You go where you know is not good for you. You eat what you shouldn't. You make friends with those you know might lead you astray. 

The Wisdom of God says "flee every appearance of evil" but you are still making excuses for it. You think you are untouchable. When the bible says "flee" you flee. Don't stay and be speaking in tongues! What good would it do me if I stand in front of rows of fresh strawberry fruit tarts in Marks and Spencer with eyes closed and speaking in tongues. When I open my eyes the strawberries will be winking at me from the bed of fresh cream. Adeola, turn your back and flee the store!

Seriously, we are tempted with so many issues in life. Yet, there is no temptation that can overtake us that is not common to man. We do have the will to say no to it every time because God is faithful. He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we are able to overcome. No matter how much the desire, He will make a way for us to bear it. His Wisdom tells us to resist; He gives more grace as we submit to Him. Flee from lust. Resist idolatry. Take your mind (and eyes) off the temptation. Check your mind into rehabilitation with the word, prayer and fasting. Take each day at a time, be thankful for overcoming today and be purposeful in overcoming tomorrow.

And if you do fall, don't stay down, get up and forward. You are in Christ Jesus. there is no temptation that is irresistible.


#PrayerforToday 27th February 2018
Almighty Father, thank You for the gift of my salvation. God of peace, crush Satan under my feet shortly. May I endure all temptation and be approved to receive the crown of life which You have promised to those who love You. In the name of Yeshua my Lord and Saviour I pray. Amen.

I pray this inspires you to be more and do more for Yeshua Ha Mashiach (Jesus Christ).

#AdeolaAkintoye ©

No comments:

Post a Comment